Monday, February 12, 2007

Sure The Police Are Back And Touring, But What Does That Mean For Me?

I'm a pretty big Police fan from my younger days, so the very thought of Sting, Andy and Stewart re-uniting for a tour can't help but excite me. Like the Beatles, the Police managed to call it quits at the top of their game, where they were still musically breaking the mold that they'd previously set, rather than re-treading the same material over and over, or generally losing steam. That early exit, by each band, has certainly added to their allure in the decades since.

So now that I'm faced with the possibility - in theory, at least - of perhaps finally seeing the terribly talented trio in concert (July 25th in Toronto; tickets go on sale this Saturday, apparently) I'm torn. I'm a bit burned out on concerts at the moment, and I can just imagine the hassle involved in getting the tickets along with how lousy the seats are likely to be should I manage to score any. After all, I'm part of an entire generation that grew up on Zenyatta Mondatta and Ghost in the Machine. And then there's driving to Toronto and dealing with all of that. On the other hand.. it's the Police!

As tough decisions go, this is a pretty nice one to have, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd have been similarly tempted, but I saw Roxanne on last night's Grammys (fortunately they were the opening act, which meant I didn't have to watch any more of the show than absolutely necessary) and was kind of disappointed. Thought they almost sounded more like a Police cover band than The Police; they seemed to be lacking "edge".