Friday, February 02, 2007

News, Of Sorts, Regarding Another Favourite Console Shooter

Long before I'd ever played Resistance: Fall of Man, and even before I'd strapped on my first Master Chief suit for Halo, I'd been introduced to one good First Person Shooter game for playing on a console. This is back about four or five years, when conventional wisdom said that FPS games didn't work all that well on consoles because you couldn't be precise enough in aiming with the silly handheld devices (unlike a keyboard and mouse). So imagine my delight when I was lent a copy of Red Faction, a PS/2 FPS that was awesome!

Besides playing well (using a little bit of aim-assist to compensate for the controller), Red Faction had one cool characteristic that you almost never see in video games: you could actually destroy most of the walls of buildings! The game included lots of weapons suitable for this use, such as rocket launchers and plasma grenades, and so you could actually remodel your surroundings to a large degree by blasting holes in walls! There was a strategic reason for this beyond virtual vandalism, which was that you could come at enemies from unexpected directions if you happened to think of going through the right wall to get to them. It was quite fun, and a unique dimension.

The sequel, Red Faction 2, was a good followup and delivered the same style of gameplay with lots of new maps and challenges.

Now, I read that possibly a third Red Faction game may be coming (hard to tell, since it's only a rumour and is labelled as "bogus" at the end of the article) and I dare to dream.

I guess this qualifies as "wait and see" for now.

No comments: