Sunday, February 04, 2007

Preparin' To Preach The Gospel

I'm now within about 10 issues of finishing my re-reading of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Preacher comic series from nearly a decade ago. I hope to write a nice lengthy, spoiler-free, review of the series once I'm done, in case I can spark any interest in the still-unproduced Preacher HBO show among the readership here. The 66-issue comic series definitely re-reads well, which is an important separator between a truly classic series and those flash-in-the-pans that get so much hype while they're being published. I doubt I'll offer any conjecturing as to who'd be appropriate to play the three lead roles, though, as casting comic movies and TV shows has never been one of my strong suits.

The only exception to that last statement that comes to mind was when I saw Tom Berenger in Platoon, in 1986, and realized he'd be absolutely perfect to play the Comedian in the Watchmen movie that was just starting to be talked-up at that time, before dying on the vine. Ironically, there's currently renewed signs of life visible on that very same troubled film, and Berenger's now the age where he'd look the part of the older Eddie Blake sans make-up, but might need CGI help in pulling off the younger version, if they included the flashbacks from the 40s and 60s. Anyway, that was my only dream casting choice, naught though it came to.

No comments: