Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Rising Tide Raises All Ships, or Why blog? (Chapter Five)

Two months in, one thing about blogging that I've noticed is that it appears to include a certain amount of infectiousness. I wasn't aware of anyone at work blogging before I started (they were; I just didn't know it) but it wasn't long after I started that I found out about them. Some of them were active, some were dormant, but in most cases my entry into the family seemed to prompt them to pick up the pace a little. And then some of their postings would inspire me to take an idea of theirs and go in a different direction. Then they'd trigger off something I'd written to go somewhere entirely new. And so on. Plus there's been at least one new blog (that I know of) started up as a result of following mine. So it really seems like there's some form of energy involved with blogging that feeds on itself. Who'd'a thunk it?

1 comment:

Peter Janes said...

As Mike is fond of saying, shame is a great motivator!

Curiously, Laurie hasn't had quite the same influence, even though she had posted the most regularly of any of us. I suspect the main factor is her fairly rigorous focus on knitting, although her most recent post is an interesting read for a more general audience.