Monday, January 01, 2007

Who's Zoomin' Whom?

I'm about 30 issues into Preacher now, and one thing has become clear to me: Joss Whedon, or someone on the Buffy Will Slay Your Vampire TV show, must've been a big fan of this comic series! So far the similarities, stemming from 1995 to 1997 - which I think means the comic stories came first - have been all around Cassidy, the vampire member of the cast. It's quite possible that both Ennis and whoever-on-Buffy lifted these from Anne Rice or others, but I can't say since I'm not that up on my vampires-in-books fiction. Anyway, here's what I've noticed:

1) Cassidy, the ultra-cool vampire character in the current day, turns out to have been quite the nancy-boy before he was turned. When we see his origin, we of course know he's one of the two Cassidy brothers shown in the flashback, but the twist is that he's actually the younger, who's quite naive, very uncool, and the total antithesis of what we've come to expect from Cassidy the vampire. Couldn't help but remind me of Spike, but I left it at that, until I read...

2) One of Cassidy's earlier adventures, which comes back to bite the larger entourage in the present day, involved a group of goth groupies who call themselves Les Enfants du Sang, or Children of the Blood. They worship vampires and desperately want to be turned by one, but Cassidy won't give them what they crave. Kidnapping, mayhem and hilarity ensue, in typical Ennis fashion. By George, didn't I see that same plot in one of the Buffy episodes, maybe around about Season 3 or 4?

Coincidence? Common cribbing from vamp fiction of the 80s or 90s? Homage to Preacher? Something's up, that's for damn sure...

1 comment:

Tammy said...

The title (Who's Zoomin Who) is also the name of a Grey's Anatomy episode. They get all their titles from songs. Ever since I saw it, I've kind of had that phrase in the back of my mind for some reason.

Not sure on the Buffy bit, but you're right those are two very direct similarities.